Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ithaca Farmer's Market


Two Saturdays ago Logan, Sarah, and I went to the Ithaca Farmer's Market. I was really excited to go because I love Ithaca, and I'll take any excuse to take a trip up. I also really like farmer's markets. There's a really peaceful vibe and lots of fun stuff to look at and try. Ithaca did not disappoint.


We got there right at 9 o'clock, so it was pretty empty and the tables were still being set up. There was wine, paintings, photography, ceramics, wood work, blankets and clothing, sauces, flowers, vegetables, meat, eggs, home made apple cider donuts, coffee, and tons of other home made and organic goods. We stopped at a bunch of different booths, and most people were super friendly and happy to answer any of our questions.





One of the first booths we stopped at was the Culinary Kiosk, which specializes in home made sauces. They also specialize in coffee, tea, garlic, herbs and spices, dry beans, and other gifts. I didn't personally try any of the sauces or salsas because I eat like a small child and don't like anything with flavor, but Sarah bought a jar of peanut sauce for her mom (since it was the day before Mother's Day) and she said she loved it. The products looked fantastic and the owner was great, so I promised I would give a good recommendation!



Another awesome booth that we stopped by was the Windsong Farm booth. I was drawn to it immediately because it said "A sustainable local farm" and I wanted to ask questions about the sustainability.  I also wanted to feel the sheep fur samples that they had on the table. David Stern, the owner, told us that they weren't able to be 100%  sustainable, because it's extremely hard, but that they try to be as sustainable as possible. They use the manure for fertilizer, and they make blankets and clothes out of the sheep fur, and they use everything they have before making any purchasing.



 Before we left the farmer's market Sarah bought some cute flowers for her mother and a gyro from one of the stands, and then we went out and looked at the pond. I really liked this tree so I took a picture of it. On the other side of the three there's a compost, and a trash - but just about everyone was using the compost because most of the food products were either not on any kind of plate, or on something recyclable. The whole environment was so chill and so relaxed, and the pond was gorgeous. There were families, and dogs, and a little boy rocking out on his violin with a tip jar at his feet. I would definitely go back, and I would definitely recommend it to friends. I'm also going to look into farmer's markets near me.





 Last but not least, Buy Local! It helps your community and gives you something awesome to do on the weekends!


No comments:

Post a Comment